Visitors Always Welcome
If we do say so ourselves, we're terrific! Need some evidence?
- Our mixed chorus is the current Carolinas District champion mixed chorus of the Barbershop Harmony Society (BHS).
- We qualified as one of just three mixed choruses in the USA for the World Mixed Harmony competition in Germany back in 2020 (which, sadly, was canceled due to COVID).
- We represented the Carolinas District at the BHS International Competition in July in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- We have a close-knit core of members who stayed together (via Zoom) through COVID and are thoroughly enjoying being back together again in person.
But we're not professionals--except our director, anyway. We're a family of like-minded individuals of many occupations and ages (from college age to 80+) who love to sing and perform, strive for excellence in what we do, and also enjoy socializing into the wee hours after our Thursday night rehearsals!
Want to know more? Attend a rehearsal and see for yourself!
HCA welcomes everyone of any race, sex, creed or background with a desire to sing solid harmony. A background in singing is great but not required. Although helpful, the ability to sight-read music is not a requirement for joining: we use pre-recorded learning tracks of our entire repertoire.
We are rehearsing weekly in person. Please see our COVID policy below, which applies to both members and visitors.
Our rehearsals are held on Thursdays at 7:00 pm in the Parish Hall at the Church of the Holy Family, 200 Hayes Rd, Chapel Hill, NC 27517. There are parking lots both to the left and behind the church building. The Parish Hall is located on the left side of the building.
Our COVID Policy
We look forward to the day when we can sing together without any concerns about COVID-19. We know that this day will come eventually. In the meantime, our priorities are to protect the collective health of our singing community and to respect the policies of the church that generously provides us with rehearsal space.
Here is the chorus's current policy regarding COVID safeguards, based on the policies of the Diocese that oversees Church of the Holy Family, as well as the recommendation of a chorus member who, besides being an MD, has extensive experience with infectious diseases and CDC protocols.
We welcome visitors, but ask you to join our members in adhering to these policies.
- All attendees must present, on arrival, a negative COVID test result of one of the following types:
- A PCR test (regular or rapid/NAAT) conducted either the day before or the day of rehearsal.
- An antigen test conducted the day of rehearsal. If you are using a home test, please take a photo of the result to show at rehearsal.
- We have antigen tests available at rehearsal in case you need to take one on arrival.
- If you are not feeling well, please stay home and take good care of yourself. Please join us another time when you're feeling better!
It's a simple process for anyone who wishes to audition for membership in HCA.
You’ll be asked to sing a few vocal exercises and patterns that will help us determine your range, tone quality, and pitch accuracy & memory.
Then we will ask that you learn a short song in your specific voice part, which you will sing in a quartet. Our director and music team will listen for correct words and notes, good vocal tone, your ability to sing your part independently, and how your sound will blend with the chorus. You will be allowed to use sheet music during the audition.
The final decision is made by the director in conjunction with the Music Team.